Should Manlius have a Moratorium on the development of Solar Array Facilities? That is the question the engaged hundreds of residents both for and against. It was so exciting to read the letters and petitions, and to listen to the public comment. There was a large turnout for both the Planning Board and the Town Board. Many good arguments were made. The local law was proposed July 14 th and the public hearing was held July 28th.
After years of planning, and thousands of dollars invested, the residents of the proposed Salt Springs Water District have decisively opted NOT to form it. Without a district, OCWA will not be able to run a pipe from Manlius to Chittenango, as was hoped. The Town will continue to work with the residents of eh Skyridge Water District to address their needs.
The Town submitted a proposal to NYS for funding to support activities in 2022 for Climate Smart Communities and Comprehensive Planning. We will hear in December if this matching grant is funded.
In other business…
- The Town Clerk denied a Peddler’s Permit to Fox Pest Control. If you are approached by someone from Fox Pest Control please call the Manlius Police.
- The Town withdrew a plan to widen Bowman Road due to resident objections.
- Councilor Denton is applying for grants with NYSERDA & National Grid to install an electric vehicle charging station behind Town Hall.
- It is time to rebid the Trash and Brush contracts. Councilor Waters asked that the companies explore mechanisms to collect organic matter [food waste] separately so that it may be composted.
- The F-M School Board has requested two additional Special Patrol Officers for the 2021-22 school year.
- There were two vacancies in the Assessment office due to a retirement and the other moving out of state. These positions have been filled with qualified candidates from the Civil Service list.
- The Town has not yet found a qualified candidate to fill the vacancy in Codes Enforcement.
- The Town Board deliberated options for the employee retirement plan [called 457] but did not vote.